Sweet are the uses of adversity!


                                 Sweet are the uses of adversity !
                    A day before week, I was in 6THA  class and teaching grammar point. I explained it and gave some examples on the board. Then hoping everyone would get it clearly, but my assumption went wrong. As soon as I asked one of the students to come and solve one example on the board. At same time she wrote it and tried to solve it. But she did nothing. So I took her class diary and wrote notes in it. Then suddenly she started crying and telling her friends something. So I asked her why she was crying. She replied that her mother would beat her if she came to know about that note. Further she added that her mother didn’t listen to her. She told me that she hadn’t understood the topic properly. Since long time she had been facing the problem of not understanding the teacher and his continuous speaking in English.
                     By that time the bell rang and everyone gathered around her. As if something serious happened. They showed sympathy to her by asking what happened. Other classes also turned up and looking at me suspiciously. They thought of something went wrong and I was made a guilty. I tried to drive others outside of the class. For a moment I also became conscious of something wrong and attempted to do better by taking that student down at the staff room. I asked her why she didn’t raise her doubts to me while studying in the class. But she kept crying and trying to get as much sympathy as possible. As I and that student reached the staffroom she told me that her tuition teacher also put blame on her if she asked the doubt. Her tuition teacher exclaimed her that she didn’t learn and become a good person.
                 After sometime the class teacher came on the scene and tried to explain her that she could not blame the teacher. Somewhat the student stopped to cry and listen to the class teacher attentively. I asked the class teacher whether I erased the note from the diary. She replied me that it was not necessary and the student would get the sign from the parents. That class teacher not only tried to console me but also that student. I thanked her and the God too. I went away and thought of the incident as learning for me.
                       Next day I tried to forget it, but observed that student. She totally changed inwardly. Body language, behaviour and communication skill were changed in her. Somewhat she became grown up and attentive towards others. I got surprise of how she suddenly changed herself. Might be she was showing deliberately to me. But again I was wrong. I kept observation and noticed that she really became changed. Then I asked myself why that sudden change took place. What were real causes? Slowly and gradually I linked it to another incident of the country. Once in metro city Kolkata, 2nd class child lost in a busy market when his mother was purchasing something. As he lost the way and started crying. Everybody inquired him about his name, address, identity and much more. Several questions shot at him but he was totally in confusion state and tried the way out. After 5 to 6 hours he was traced. But he learnt many things and became silent. It was observed that he became a good as well as attentive towards others. That difficulty or adversity was a blessing for him and he learnt the life lesson in a short time instead of taking many years. During that short period he faced a lot of problems as well as the difficulties. In this way he learnt valuable lesson while facing the situation.
                            S o I draw conclusion from that incident that it is an essential for the learner to go through such things. If he wants to learn effectively, then he must find such adversity. But we as the teachers can turn out such atmosphere for the learners so that they can become good at learning. Even William Shakespeare once said, “ Sweet are the uses of adversity”. This way we can make the teaching for the learners that they will be able to face any problems of the life.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My teaching techniques for English language learners.

Class talk

Classroom instructions.