My teaching techniques for English language learners.

 

 My teaching techniques for English language learners. 

 What works in one place doesn’t necessarily help at other side. That is true for teaching and learning at schools and colleges. There are certain reasons such as students' level, their family background, atmosphere, social activities, discipline and awareness factors etc. However, a teacher has to take his techniques based on his experience and observations to the class. So that he can change it from time to time.

Being a learner, I jotted down some ideas for my teaching profession. At this stage, I feel that these are to be changed in the course of teaching and learning.

1) Icebreakers:-

As soon as I enter the class, I try to use some ideas to make my class fresh, energetic and attentive. Maybe small activities such as a hand up, closing your eyes, taking deep breaths, rolling your hands, moving your body, clapping, touching your forehead, gargling and so on.

That prepares my students for learning a language. Sometimes they take interest in learning the English language at their level while doing this small activity.

Another small activity is I do that I say the following rhyme with action,

“Clap your hand, listen to the music

Take a round and listen to the music” 

2) Multiply simple sentences:-

Sometimes I use simple sentences in class and ask the students to use them and make another sentence such as

I drink………

Providing a list of words; water, tea, coffee, juice, buttermilk, milk, coconut water and so on

Even they add their vocabularies like soda, Coca-Cola, and lemon water.

I go to………..

              

School, washroom, the class, the playground, the library, the mall etc. The students can add their words to the sentence.

3) Identify what I describe:-

Sometimes I keep a description activity so that they listen to me and identify what I describe.

A non-living object which we use for reading and studying. Sometimes we keep the things on it. What is it?

A person who treats others and cares for them by prescribing medicine. Who is that?

 Running on petrol and taking you from one place to another place. What is that?

            In this activity, the students also take initiative in describing their ideas and they slowly use the language. That way, they keep learning it.

4) Feedback:-

At the end of the lesson, always ask my students for their feedback by giving the following sentence structure

I like………..

I dislike………

There are good ……………… in today’s class.

Today I enjoy about……………………

        They write their feedback and share it with me or their classmates. This activity prepares them to apply thinking and observation skills. This motivates them to learn the language.

5) Fixed sentences pattern:-

This activity is about giving the fixed sentence pattern so that they use it easily and properly. They reproduce the sentences as many as possible.

There are………. at my class.

There is ……………..at my class.

There are ………………at my home.

There is ………………at my home.

I have…………… at my home.

                                The students try to make the sentences as many as possible. Then, they share their write-ups before the class. It involves them in thinking, observing and speaking act. In the end, they feel confident in producing the English language.

6) Positive sentences affirmations:-

In the classroom, positive affirmations set a tone of positive learning, these make them happy and interested in listening to the teacher. Let’s look at it,

One – two- three (with clapping)

I am very good

One- two – three

I am a very regular

One- two- three

I am very happy

One – two – three

Laugh is free (Hasana hai free)

                 

Sometimes the positive affirmations are to be changed with another sentence. In this way, teaching and learning take place positively.

7) A set of small activities:-

Small activities always help not only the teacher but also the students learn a language well. Even it keeps them in engaging language learning.

Giving a situation

 Such as going to a market and is about to buy various objects and each student adds his item, and the next one too adds his item after the first one. The same third one keeps his item after two students list

First: I buy tomatoes

Second: I buy tomatoes and a lady's finger

Third: I buy tomatoes, lady fingers and potatoes.

 

Another situation to be given them, and let them think about it.

Example:  What do you do when ads come on Television?

They reply,

I drink water

I eat something

I see a mobile

I go to a washroom

I open a freeze and look for a chocolate.

 

Such small activities always open the stage to produce their language skills.

8) Humour:-

Using humour in running class sets the learners in learning mode and taking an interest in it. Some of the students ask permission for a washroom.

May I go to a washroom?

I say, “Oh! There is a holiday for the washroom.”

A student asks for drinking water, “May I drink water?”

I say, “If you drink it more, then you will visit several times to the washroom.”

A student asks me, “How are you, sir?”

I say, “Don’t you see it on my face?

           How am I?”

In this way, I keep my class engaging, and on learning mode.

9) Speak and listen to my students:-

Sometimes I take rounds of the class and ask each one of them about his daily routine and activities such as,

How are you?

What did you do yesterday?

What game do you play with your friends?

Do you like chocolates? Which one?

 Slowly and gradually, they start speaking in English with me. At a time I listen to them and correct him or her if required. This also engages the students in learning the English language.

10)               Jot down ideas while teaching and listening:-

While teaching and listening to the class, I prefer to note down my ideas and observations in my diary. It is related to students' behaviour, likes, dislikes, agree, disagree and anything of them. Later on, I keep introspection and try to apply something else which works in their favour.

11)               Motivate my students:-

Apart from these regular techniques, I introduce assignments to the students to prepare for any topics and present them before other or higher classes to get confidence and sharpen their skills. Secondly, I prepare a list of interview questions so that they can go out and take it. Further, they take teachers’ interviews. In this way, I try to motivate them to learn the English language.

They learn the English language practically and regularly.

Keeping the above techniques and updating them is an essential part of my learning. I keep writing and reflecting on my techniques so that I can produce better results. The students also keep learning the language well.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Class talk

Classroom instructions.