A difficult and strange journey....
A difficult and strange journey....
A few days back, during heavy rain for two to three days, the government announced holidays. I came across an old, dusty, and torn book written by a great Indian writer and regarded as an author for children, Ruskin Bond. I casually picked it up and thought of reading it, but fearing not allocating time as well as place for it, as I was supposed to be finishing, my mind started saying or maybe suggesting.
In the wee hours of confused thought, I was not sure whether to conclude, start or leave it where it was.
After struggling for ten to fifteen minutes, ultimately I was put into confirmation from my mind that I should have it finished if it is once started.
As soon as I plunged into reading it, I encountered difficulties, as if I felt like a beginner learner with new and unknown words. As expected, I didn't comprehend such new words, which was harassing my mind. All of a sudden, I started searching my Advanced Oxford Dictionary by A. S. Hornby here and there, with two family members joining in my great mission. They looked at me as if I was a college-goer, and finding a hall ticket for the final exam. Two members assisted me in finding it and pleaded me let them not get disturbed and baffled.
On resuming my adventurous journey, I again slowly flipped through the pages of the book full of unknown, strange words; they were supposed to invade my mind. At last, I began my reading journey; still, I was not sure when I should be supposed to finish it. But it consumed two hours, literally, to comprehend fully three pages of it, around 100 pages of that book.
I was in tension about what to do next, firing a series of questions at myself whether I am a teacher of English or some other subject to get a few pages more than half and an hour. In the end, I had three pages of new, first-time found and unknown words. I left my place shockingly, disruptively, and distractingly. I flung it into a corner and was supposed to lose or ignore it forever.
The following morning, I sighed a heave of relief with thought, and came out of that dark and unknown prison of the words.
By Haridas Patil
Comments
Post a Comment