Not qualification, but attitude matters !


           Some days ago I came across an advertisement on website. It was related to education sector and about the teaching. The institute was looking for some trainers. So it advertised in following way

1. Authenticity & honesty
2. Hunger & desire to learn/work hard
 3. Character to stand for the right things
4. Making things happen
 Qualification is not a constraint, attitude is
With a detailed write up with examples on how you have demonstrated these behaviours & what has been your story till now.
Any application without a write up will not be considered. We will contact the shortlisted soon. “

                 I surprised after reading above advertisement. It means that qualification is not important that much as it was earlier, but now the character is to be tested on every level. The integrity, honesty, authenticity and hard work to be given the priorities for today’s job. In fact we have problem of how to teach above behaviours trait to the students. In what way can we as teachers inculcate these into them? These are out of the curriculum. We always focus on completion of the syllabus. We never ask ourselves and learners why we need to learn that particular lesson. Even we never take any practical objective of the lesson into account. In my view these are practical subjects and they should be taught practically. Otherwise the aim of the education becomes hollow. However the certificate also matters along with these. The former matters most.
                       In same way, I faced the issues of honesty and hard work among the students last month. That time I observed many of them asking one another about what answer was or cleared the doubt while writing a monthly test. I became furious over them being dishonest and requested them to be   an honest as well as hard work. But they did not pay attention that much to me as they were to one another. At a time I was thinking seriously of how to pursue them for good behaviours and attitude. In flash of moment I got that we would teach mechanical way, not emotional. So it is our fault not to inculcate practical things of these behaviours and attitude.
                    That day the advertisement made me think over these issues and compelled me to look into these seriously. Otherwise we would make machine or Robot, not human being. Apart from these, I observed that sometime I don’t keep the integrity in my work and not hunger for hard work. Because of I was not taught these attitudes practically. I also put the blame over others. Now the days have gone and every industry looks for these traits and practical people. That’s why I must admit that I need to take these traits seriously. Further I have to plan out for practical teaching of these. Otherwise I will put a label of blaming as well as complaining to myself. Its time I need to start teaching of these behaviours seriously and purposefully.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My teaching techniques for English language learners.

Class talk

Classroom instructions.