Language function

 - Study the following sentences in order to know language function.

1. Kiran was so clever that she never missed her first rank. (Showing result)

2. Kishan speaks as if he were a great orator. (Making supposition)

3. If I had got a superfast train, I would have reached two hours earlier.

(Expressing condition in past)

4. I don't like fast food, I would rather take a desi meal. (Expressing alternative choice)

5. Though he ran fast, he missed the bus. (Expressing contrast)

6. The clerk behaves as if he were a manager. (Making supposition)

7. Mr Panchal is such a helpful person that he is ever ready to help others.

(Showing result)

8. If she had invited me, I would surely have attended the party. (Expressing condition in past)

9. We went to the market with a view to buying a TV. (Showing purpose)

10. The show was cancelled because no audience turned up. (Expressing reason)

11. Virat Kohli is one of the most successful captions. (Showing comparison)

12. When Shirin was in school, he used to play cricket every Sunday. (Showing past habitual action)

13. Rasila ben has gone to US in order to do her post-graduation. (Expressing purpose)

14. Nobody likes the way she cheats others. (Expressing manner)

15. I-phone is so costly that I cannot buy it. (Showing result)

16. Arya does not like to watch news on TV; she likes to watch movies instead. (Expressing alternative choice)

17. The parents met the principal to know the progress of their child. (Showing purpose)

18. Had you told me, I would have come to receive you at the airport. (Expressing condition in past)

19. Though we tried hard, we could not win the match. (Expressing contrast)

20. The teacher punishes us as if he were a jail superintendent. (Expressing supposition)

21. If she had worked hard, she could surely have cracked the test. (Showing past condition)

22. Prakash was only ten years old when his father died. (Expressing time)

23. My house is bigger than anyone else's in our area. (Expressing comparison)

24. I met a gentleman who could speak as many as eight languages. (Describing a person)

25. We will not be able to save environment. (Expressing condition)

26. Rakesh spoke in the meeting as if he were drunk. (Expressing supposition)

27. The boy said, "Let's go out to play". (Expressing proposal)

28. "What do you think about that film?", I asked. (Asking for opinion)

29. His proposal failed because nobody supported it. (Expressing reason)

30. To be free is to be intelligent. (Defining)

31. "As I am indisposed, I won't go to office today." (Giving reason)

32. China has more population than any other country. (Expressing comparison)

33. Many people in the world are independent but very few are free. (Showing contrast)

34. Follow the things as your coach instructs. (Expressing manner)

35. Keep silent or leave the class. (Giving order)

36. Speech is never better than silence. (Expressing comparison)

37. She is so shy that she will not speak anything in public. (Expressing result)

38. He took the wrong step because nobody was there to guide him. (Giving reason)

39. Let me introduce you to my friend. (Describing a person)

40. The boy who pleads headache, may want to keep away his friends.

(Expressing possibility)

41. If you can't be a highway, then just be a trail. (Expressing condition)

42. People go abroad with a view to earning a good deal of money. (Expressing purpose)

43. I would leave the job rather than working with the corrupt ones. (Expressing preference)

44. I used to visit the temple when I was a child. (Past habit)

45. It makes no difference to me whether you like it or not. (Showing options)

46. "Can we go for a picnic tomorrow, sir?" asked the student. (Seeking permission)

47. I asked him, "When are you free this evening?" (Expressing time)

48. Though some persons have nothing to do, they keep busy all the time.

(Expressing contrast)

49. I am happy that I have got a silver medal. (Expressing reason)

50. During Civil War, Truth brought gifts for soldiers. (Describing past event)

51. The task is so difficult that it seems almost impossible to finish it in time.

(Showing result)

52. When an army of driver ants enters a house, the people flee to the forest.

(Expressing time)

53. The doctor said, "You are infected with Corona virus." (Giving information)

54. Satish ran faster than Atish.  (Expressing comparison)

55. I did not pay much heed to it the first day, but later it became evident.

(Showing contrast)

 

--------------Better English                                       Better Career------------

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My teaching techniques for English language learners.

Class talk

Classroom instructions.