Not memorization , but thinking required at school level!


Recently I was approached by some parents for their children’s personal tuition. At the beginning I denied them, but they insisted me for taking it.  I made myself ready for that task. Then I was asked by the students to take oral for their upcoming exam. So they came with preparation to my home. I asked them the questions one by one. They did it well and made me happy. By that time I had an idea that I would ask them randomly. Then they started thinking for their memorization. Suddenly I changed the pattern of asking them. I took some questions from middle, and they totally fumbled and replied me that they didn’t remember it. I was surprised when I asked the questions to them in sequence they were giving the correct answer. But when I changed the pattern, they started thinking and fumbling instead of remembering it.  So they taught me that education is not about means of memorization, but the thinking skill.
However we know that the memory is good at some extent, but thinking is the best form of learning. Still we follow the memorization for the students tirelessly and make them parrot in the future too. If we keep thinking based teaching -learning, definitely they will have great career ahead. Otherwise they will become a machine due to memorization. That’s why we need to plant the seeds of thinking from the beginning. It may be in various forms like poetry, essay, composition, story, and diary writing. Let’s hope it will come in easy way!
-        Does memorization mean education?
-        Should the memorization be promoted at larger level?
-        Do we need to replace it with thinking skill?
-        What do you say on this experience?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My teaching techniques for English language learners.

Class talk

Classroom instructions.