At The Bank

 

AT THE BANK

CUSTOMER: Can I cash a cheque here?

COUNTER CLERK: Go to another counter, sir. That one there.

CUSTOMER (at the second counter): Can I cash this cheque, please?

COUNTER CLERK: What's the amount? Let me see the cheque. It's less than two thousand. Go to the teller's counter, sir. She'll cash it right away.

CUSTOMER (at the teller's counter): Take this cheque please, and give me the amount. Be a little prompt, will you? I've already spent some time here going from counter to counter, and I'm in a hurry.

TELLER: All right, sir. Bear with me for two minutes, and I'll give you the money. (After a minute) I'm sorry to bother you, sir, but there's an over-writing on the date, which you've not

signed. Would you put your signature here, just over the date

on the right-hand corner?

CUSTOMER: Of course. Here it is, young lady. Now go ahead and pay the amount, please.

TELLER: It shouldn't take much time now. An entry has to be

made, and that's all. But could I bother you again? Would

you sign on the back of the cheque, here?

CUSTOMER: Certainly not. Why do you want me to sign on the back when I've put my signature on the front of the cheque?

TELLER: We need this signature as evidence that you've received the money, sir. The signature on the front only means that you've ordered the bank to pay.

CUSTOMER: Well, you have a point there, but this order should be enough evidence that the payment has been made.

TELLER: But it doesn't prove who's received it, does it?

CUSTOMER: That's true.

TELLER: Here's the amount, sir. Sorry for the little delay.

CUSTOMER: That's all right. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My teaching techniques for English language learners.

Class talk

Classroom instructions.